Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Resisting Temptation

🍷🍷🍷  When a recovering alcoholic is part of a tour group in France, there is temptation all around. At lunch, you are offered wine ... or hard cider in Normandy. On the bus, near the end of a long day, your tour guide offers locally-produced wine or liquer.  At dinner there is white wine and red wine, lots of it, bottles and bottles, on the table.  Between courses you have, set before you, a small bowl containing sorbet swimming in brandy.  The refrigerator in your hotel room holds white wine and beer.

♥️♥️♥️  My husband supports my sobriety.  He smiles when I turn over my wine glass, and keeps my water glass filled.  He suggests that I pour the brandy into his bowl of sorbet, and enjoy my sorbet without it.  I do.  He buys me a bottle of sparkling lemonade for the bus.

⭐⭐⭐  Even our tour guide, Sylvie, is sensitive and helpful.  She buys a cold bottle of local apple juice and, on the bus, she pours it for me and the two other people who don't drink (for whatever reason).

😢  Am I tempted? Certainly, occasionally.  But it doesn't last very long, and having a delicious French dessert always helps.

😁😁😁  And, each morning, I wake without that sluggish feeling that isn't quite a hangover.  I wake alert, energetic, ready for good French coffee and a croissant, maybe even a fresh piece of fruit.  Ready for a new day, new sights, new sounds, something new to learn and appreciate.

🇫🇷🇫🇷🇫🇷  La Belle France!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts so that I, and others, can continue learning!

Do you have a problem that you're struggling with?