Saturday, September 8, 2018

The art of compromise



It seems that, at the national level, our leaders have lost both the desire to compromise and the knowledge of how to achieve it.  It isn't all that hard.  Here is an example from earlier this morning.

Im at the Richmond Hill retreat center.  Ive just showered and drrssed.  I want to simultaneously drink my coffee, write in my journal where the light is good, put an ice wrap on my sprained foot, and put my foot up on a chair. The best place is the refectory (dining room). I get myself all set up when a staff member asks me if I can move because they want to set up for breakfast. I resist, and explain what I'm trying to accomplish. She explains why they need the space. We both have legitimate needs. The solution is for me to move to the smaller dining area (which doesn't need to be set up). I'm satisfied, she's satisfied -- win/win.

What does it take to achieve a good compromise?  You need to be able to explain what you need.  You need to listen to what the other person needs.  You need to be willing to accept the validity of the other person's needs.  And you need to be willing to accept an alternate solution that meets the needs of both.

It's not that hard...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts so that I, and others, can continue learning!

Do you have a problem that you're struggling with?